THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER MADE!
It was so delicious we almost ate the whole thing! We stopped mostly because I wanted to eat the rest for lunch the next day and also it is extremely nutrient dense and filling.
The texture and flavors of the pumpkin and quinoa went perfectly together, sweet and savory. The perfect meal for the start of Fall.
I do get a little pumpkin crazy during this time of year, it’s not my fault they are so pretty and tasty too! However, I have been slightly devastated to learn about Pumpkin Spice Latte’s according to Food Babe and several other sources they are filled with not good for you ingredients so this year I will probably avoid them all together. Instead I will cook my own pumpkin delicacies!
If you have pumpkin recipes send them along! The next pumpkin items I want to make is a healthy crustless pumpkin pie and my mothers pumpkin soup!
When choosing a pumpkin to cook or bake with be sure to choose a Sugar or Pie Pumpkin. They are usually pretty small, between 4 and 8 lbs. The big carving ones are not nearly as tender or sweet when cooked.
Here it is, let me know what you think!
Whole Pumpkin Stuffed with Quinoa and Chickpea Pilaf
1 pie pumpkin
2 cups of cooked quinoa (linked are instructions how)
1 cup cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons butter (or substitute, i used earth balance)
1/2 of a large sweet onion chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
- preheat over to 350 degrees f
- using a sharp knife poke holes in the top of the pumpkin
- place on a cookie sheet or cake pan
- bake for about an hour or until the flesh is soft and easy to cut through
- when cool cut top off closely around stem and scoop out seeds (you can set them aside to bake later)
- melt butter in medium sized sauce pot
- stir in onions and saute until soft and clear
- mix in garlic and saute for another 2 minutes
- mix in cumin, coriander, tomato paste, salt and pepper
- add quinoa and incorporate with all the ingredients
- add chickpeas, stir well
- cook for several more minutes
- turn the heat off when everything is mixed well and fragrant
- scoop pilaf into pumpkin
- cut and eat!